|Date||February 7 - March 6, 2019|
|Location||Online (Details will be emailed)|
|Time||Live Streams: Wednesdays at 12 pm EDT|
Registration is now closed
One of the most neglected areas when it comes to health, is the vitality of the brain and nervous system. But when we lose the faculties of the mind, we lose the faculties of life. This course explores the causes and treatments of neurodegenerative diseases, as well as common conditions such as depression, anxiety, sleep disorders, and the like.
The brain weighs 2% of the bodies weight, but takes up 20% of the bodies resources. If the nervous system doesn’t get what it needs, the whole body suffers.
It is estimated that about 45,000 Americans currently live with moderate or severe mental illness. 1 This is not the normal physiological condition, and there thus, must be a specific underlying cause.
For over 60 years, the monoamine theory of mental illness has ruled in the medical community. We now know that mental health goes way beyond specific neurotransmitters (i.e. serotonin, dopamine, melatonin, norepinephrine), and involves an evaluation of many systems. This is the key to restoring and maintaining mental health.
Neurological imbalances have been associated with many conditions:
- Sleep disorders
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Thyroid disorders
- Leaky gut syndrome
- Attention deficit (and hyperactivity) disorder (ADD/ADHD)
- Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Treating neurological imbalances requires a multi-faceted plan including diet, therapeutic foods, lifestyle interventions, and nutraceuticals.
In this course, Advanced Clinical Focus on Mental Health and Neurology, we will examine how to identify a person’s neurological imbalances, and how to restore the health of the nervous system.
This course is for you if you are a…
- Nutritionist or health coach
- Culinary Nutrition Expert
- Naturopathic doctor
- Medical doctor
- Nurse or nurse practitioner
- Chiropractor or physiotherapist
- Personal trainer or fitness specialist
- Individual wanting to learn more about hormonal health
You will walk away with a solid understanding of how to identify and address neurological imbalances, and be able to implement targeted therapies for yourself, your family, clients and/or patients.
“I have had the pleasure of being a student of Josh’s. He is a dedicated and extremely knowledgable teacher. He is very good at breaking down difficult concepts and presenting them through pictures and diagrams in a way that is easy to understand and remember. He has a wonderful calming energy that really helps to instill confidence in his students and a great sense of humour that makes the learning process fun.”- Cindy MacMillan, Certified Nutritional Practitioner
Topics covered include:
- Anatomy and physiology of the nervous system
- Root causes of mental disorders: looking upstream
- Addressing common neurological disorders
- The methylation connection
- Depression, anxiety and sleep disorders
- Blood sugar control
- Stress and brain
- “Brain food”
- The inflammatory connection
- ADD and ADHD
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Gluten’s role in brain health
- Targeted orthomolecular treatment
- Therapeutic foods
- Therapeutic nutraceuticals
- And much more!
“Josh is by far one of the best teachers I’ve ever had. His knowledge and desire to truly teach his students is second to none. He has an amazing way of breaking down complex information so that it is palatable to everyone. Josh is helpful, patient and pretty funny too. I’ll definitely be taking more classes with him in the future.” – Barbara Baumann, Certified Nutritional Practitioner
- A thorough understanding of the nervous system
- How to identify neurological imbalances – pattern recognition
- The upstream effects on neurological health
- How to restore balance to the nervous system
- How to use targeted diets, foods, nutraceuticals, and mind-body therapies
- How to ensure maintenance of hormonal health for life
- Four pre-recorded 1.5-2-hour online video classes (released every Thursday, with ongoing access)
- Four 1 hour live stream sessions (Wednesdays at 12pm EDT, recording available if unable to join live)
- Complete set of course slides
- Access to the Private Student Portal containing: recordings, class notes, studies, articles, and handouts.
- February 7: 1st class available for viewing
- February 13 at 12pm EDT: 1st Live Stream
- February 14: 2nd class available for viewing
- February 20 at 12pm EDT: 2nd Live Stream
- February 21: 3rd class available for viewing
- February 27 at 12pm EDT: 3rd Live Stream
- February 28: 4th class available for viewing
- March 6 at 12pm EDT: 4th Live Stream
“Josh breaks down complicated health concepts into easy to digest information. He is generous with his resources and knowledge, making his courses useful for both consumers and other health/nutrition professionals. Definitely good value to invest both time and money in one of his education seminars. You’ll come out the other side more knowledgeable and more motivated’. Trish K, Holistic Nutritionist, Certified Nutritional Practitioner
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I can’t attend any of the live sessions, will I still be able to watch them?
Yes, the recordings of the live sessions will be posted 1-2 days after the session to be viewed at your leisure.
Can I send in questions if I am not able to attend the live question and answer session?
Yes, any questions submitted before the session, will be addressed. (Unless there are too many questions to cover).
How long will I have access to the materials?
2 years. If there are any updates to the information in that time, you will have access to that as well.
Can I get a certificate showing my successful completion of the course?
Yes. You must successfully complete a short open-book exam with a passing mark of 80%. Your certificate will be mailed within 1 month of receiving the completed quiz. There is a small administration fee of $20.
What is the time commitment for this course?
You can watch and read as much of the material as you like. There is no evaluation of your participation. The purpose of this course is to provide you with the best information on the topic. What you do with it is up to you. You get as much out of it as you put in.
I have listened to many lectures on this topic, what makes this course different?
This course is a comprehensive study of neurology and mental health from a functional medicine perspective. Taking a client’s biochemical individuality into account is essential for optimal health. This course arms the clinician with the tools necessary to safely implement protocols that can restore neurological and mental health.
Still have a question? Don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
- JAMA. 2009;301(23):2462-2471. ↩